Thursday 19 July 2012

First proper pint

Within hours of landing in Glasgow, it didn't take too long before I had sampled my first pint of cask ale.

I sampled Kelburn's Goldihops ale.  It was smooth and malty with a nice hop'y finish...as one would hope and expect.  



Cask ales are not carbonated like North American beers making them more of a gulping drink rather than sipping mouthfuls of foam and maybe a little beer.  Also, casks are stored at cellar temperatures rather than refrigerated. This seems to unlock more aromatics and reveals more complexity in the ale's flavour.  If you have a basement in your domicile, I recommend storing your beer down there.  Put some in the fridge for your friends from Ontario who insist drinking beer at near freezing temperatures. 


Needless to say, my first experience with a traditional Scottish ale was not my last.  Bottom's up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But it has to be Rocky Mountain Cold! The can tells me so!