Thursday 26 June 2008

Conquerall Mills Variety Supper

June 21, 2008
Conquerall Mills, NS

I've waxed poetic about this supper before, so I'll probably be repeating myself with this one. What can I say, there is little to say other than: "wow". This supper is an elbow macaroni, ground beef comfort food celebration! If you don't eat beef or sugar...uh...this isn't the place for you.

Like the seasoned pro's we are, we lined up ~10 minutes before the doors opened. Not as steamy and hot as in recent years, intermittent rain was a nice relief from the heat. As we waited, the medium class team pulls carried on in the background. Finally, the line started to move.

Hmmm, how to describe what awaited us on the buffet table, lemme see what I can remember: potato salad, egg salad sammiches with crusts cut off, lunenburg pudding (blood pudding), rolled up deli meats, scalloped potatoes, various meat casseroles, swedish meatballs, chili, one amazing ham (dang, it was smokey and GOOD), mac 'n' cheese, more beef concoctions and apparently some spectacular baked beans. For some reason, I didn't put them on my plate!?





The ever popular pitchers of red Kool aid were present, as well as the urns of tea and coffee. The desert table had rhubarb pie, incredible looking apple pie, cheesecake (looked like mostly dream whip) and other delectables I can't recall.

Oh, and good 'ole molasses brown bread, biscuits and rolls:



For once I neglected to tuck in to the enticing table cake located every 4 or so place settings, though the brownies topped with sliced almonds down the table had me rethinking that decision..

Tomorrow, stay tuned for the church cold plate luncheon review and this weekend's upcoming suppers and breakfasts (hint: fresh strawberries and long lineups are involved)

No comments: