Tuesday 4 December 2007

Petite Riviere Christmas Tea

Wesley United Church Hall
Petite Riviere, NS
Dec. 1, 2007

This was the first time either of us had been to this church, but luckily Petite Riviere is a small community so it wasn't too hard to find. As you come up the steep hill exiting Petite, heading towards Broad Cove, the United church is on your left at the top of the hill. It is a towering building with possibly one of the creepiest graveyards I have ever seen.

Once we figured out where to go, we pulled back the heavy wooden doors and entered Cozy-ville! It was an amazing tea and a very special venue. Unfinished wood walls gave the space a warm and inviting feel. Festive cloth table cloths graced the tables, complete with holly and white pine sprigs at each table. Ours had a little 'drummer boy' drum ornament in it as well.

Wave upon wave of friendly servers attended to our every need. First we had our tea (delicious) and then the sandwiches started to arrive:



Ohmigod, cream cheese and cherry, ham and cheese, mock seafood (fake crab), tuna and egg salad (complete with onions). I wished the afternoon would never end. Lisa was beside herself, especially because the sandwiches came 'sans crust'. A plate of devilled eggs was not far behind the sandwiches as we devoured every one that we were offered.

Eventually we had to stop eating sandwiches and desert soon followed. We had a bit of each. An uncoventional trifle: I think it had jello instead of jelly, and what I think were canned pears in the base? Rainbow sprinkles dotted the surface of the dream whip (I'm pretty sure it was dream whip) topping. At any rate, sweet and delish! The other choice was a mincemeat cheesecake, with vanilla graham crumb crust and candied oranges on top of the dream whip topping. Again, sweet and oddly addictive!

I am SO glad we ventured out that day, considering the horrid weather I encountered on my drive in to Bridgewater earlier that morning. Luckily the snow had abated by lunch time, and there was hardly a trace of snow the closer we got to the coast. I highly recommend everyone attend next year's Christmas tea, I know I will.

No comments: